M.Ed. Civic Education: FAQs (worth reading)

No, the program is currently not subject to admission restrictions.

No, this is usually not possible, since in the B.Ed. you have to study two equal subjects with a subject didactic component as well as educational sciences and complete school internships, whereas in the B.A. you do not.

to the M.A. Empirical Democracy Studies? Yes, as long as you have acquired 6 LP in the B.Ed. by participating in courses and successfully passing the module exam in "Statistics and Methods". However, you must then also pass the written exam "Statistics II" in the first two Master's semesters, for which it is advisable to listen to the corresponding lecture in the winter semester.
to the M.A. Political Economy and International Relations? Yes, provided that you have acquired 6 LP in the B.Ed. by attending courses and successfully passing the module exam in "Statistics and Methods".

With the M.Ed. you also receive the 1st state examination for the teaching profession at grammar schools, thus acquiring a necessary prerequisite for starting a traineeship as a social studies teacher in another federal state in which the teacher training course ends with the degree "state examination" and not "M.Ed. and not "M.Ed.". It is advisable to have the degree additionally recognized by the office of the State Examination Office in Koblenz.

It is possible, provided that you obtain a Bachelor's degree at the Johannes Gutenberg University or at another German university, to be enrolled in the Bachelor's and the Master's program in parallel for one semester. This regulation is intended to enable students to already start with the Master's program, although not all achievements in the Bachelor's program have been made yet and therefore the Bachelor's certificate is not yet available. However, it is not intended that you then still perform substantial work in the Bachelor's program during the first Master's semester. This is because the Master's program is a full course of study. Accordingly, you will need sufficient time to fulfill all master's requirements. Therefore, there will hardly be time to write the Bachelor thesis "on the side".
Please also note that you must submit your Bachelor's degree certificate to the Registrar's Office by the end of the 1st semester in the Master's program without being asked to do so. Otherwise your admission to the Master's program will expire.
Applicants from abroad must present their Bachelor's degree certificate (or proof of an equivalent first university degree) at the time of application.
If you are enrolled in both the Bachelor's and the Master's program at the same time in your first Master's semester, you must submit your Bachelor's degree certificate to the Student Secretary of the Johannes Gutenberg University by the end of your first semester, i.e. no later than March 31 (if you start in the winter semester) or September 30 (if you start in the summer semester). If you do not do so, you will be exmatriculated. You will then have to reapply for a place on the Master's program.
Please note: It is usually not sufficient that the issuance of the certificate is requested; the certificate should be physically available. Caution: There may be several weeks between the application and the issuance of the certificate by the University Examination Office!

The three modules in the M.Ed. "Civic Education must be completed with a total of two term papers and one oral examination. It is up to you which modules you complete with a term paper and which with the oral examination. However, the oral exam can only be taken after a lecture, whereas the term papers can only be written after a seminar.

You must then present a medical certificate to the study office (contact person Ms. Dagmar McCaslin) in order to obtain an extension of the deadline. You can download the form here.

One of the three modules in the M.Ed. Civic Education must be completed with an oral examination. The oral examination refers to the contents of the lecture in this module and should normally be taken directly after the lecture by the lecturer who gave the lecture. In justified exceptions, however, it is possible - after consultation with the lecturer - to take the oral examination at a later date. Please note that only the material of the current lecture or of last year's lecture can be examined (but not the content of an earlier lecture). For the oral module examination you have to register via Jogustine in due time and also arrange an examination date with the examiner.
Please note: The oral exams are not taken after the seminars. Here you write term papers as module final examinations.

To answer this question, just look at the annotated course catalog in Jogustine: for all courses, not only for lectures, it is indicated for which module they are designated.

This is probably because you did not pay attention to the module structure when registering: Let's assume that a module consists of a lecture and two seminars. They form the three "module modules" of this module (lecture, seminar 1 and seminar 2 = module). Although you can register for more than one event per module module, you will only ever be admitted to one event per module module! This means: if you indicate several seminars when registering for module module 1 in module x, you will only be admitted to one of these seminars, regardless of the fact that there are still places available in the other seminars. If you wish to attend additional seminars within a module module, you can do so in the following semester, provided that the module has not already been successfully completed by then by attending courses in all 3 module modules and taking the exam.

No. According to the module description, at least two subfields of political science should be covered by the three courses in this module. The subareas AVPS, IB, Economy and Society, and Political Theory are available for selection.

"The prerequisite for enrollment is that the student has completed the fourth semester of study in at least one subject of the teaching-related bachelor's degree program or has successfully passed the bachelor's examination. Enrollment ends no later than four semesters after successfully passing the last examination in the teaching-related master's program. If enrollment occurs after successfully completing a master's program, it is limited to four semesters." (Center for Teacher Education: http://www.zfl.uni-mainz.de/1250.php )
You must attend the modules "Fundamentals of Political Science and its Neighboring Disciplines" and "Subject Didactics" from the B.Ed. Civic Education and successfully complete each with a written exam.
You must also attend two further modules from the B.Ed. Civic Education, namely the module "Democracy and Society in Germany" and either "Analysis and Comparison of Political Systems" or "Political Theory", and successfully complete each with a term paper.
Furthermore, from the M.Ed. Civic Education you have to attend the modules "Politics and Political Mediation" as well as "Cross-Sectional Problems in the Political Context" and successfully complete each with a term paper.
For more information, please see the page on the certificate program (Erweiterungsfach Lehramt Gymnasien).

Arzheimer, Kai, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Callaghan, Helen, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Elsässer, Lea, Dr.
Filip, Alexandru, Dr.
Fitzpatrick, Jasmin, Dr.
Franke, Uwe, OStR
Frings, Cornelia, Dr.
Hillen, Sven, Dr.
Huber, Sascha, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Jehle, May, Dr.
Kessler, Johannes, Dr.
Kurella, Anna-Sophie, Dr.
Landwehr, Claudia, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Müller, Barbara, Dr.
Muntschick, Johannes, Dr.
Niehoff, Dr. Mirko
Niemann, Arne, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Plank, Friedrich, Dr.
Pohl, Kerstin, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Reinermann, Holger, Dr.
Schäfer, Armin, Univ.-Prof. Dr.
Schmitt, Annette, Dr.
Steiner, Nils, Dr.
Unger, Doris, Dr.
Unger-Sirsch, Jürgen, Dr.
Wagner, Christoph, Dr.
Zimmerling, Ruth, Univ.-Prof. Dr. (retired)